Bilberry extract powder is ideal for a variety of applications including dietary supplements and functional foods. Bilberry powder is high in antioxidants, are a good source of flavonoids and possess anti-inflammatory properties.
Bilberry is a low-growing shrub grown primarily in Europe. With over 200 species, relatives of the Vaccinium family can be found throughout Asia and North America as well. Similar to the North American blueberry, the bilberry is a small, nearly black berry grown with dark green surrounding foliage. Unlike blueberries, the bilberry is grown as a single or paired berry on the stem rather than the cluster that is blueberry. There is often confusion about bilberry and blueberry and many think they are the same berry just grown in different countries. While both are of the Vaccinium genus they are distinctly different species with different phytonutrient profiles as well.
Bilberry Phytonutrient Profile
- Contains a high number of anthocyanins when compared with other dark berries
- Unique anthocyanin profile contains a minimum 20 anthocyanins with primary anthocyanins being Cyanidin-3-O-glycoside, Delphinidn-3-O-glycoside, Malvidin-3-O-glycoside, and Peoniding-3-O-glycoside.
- One of the highest antioxidant value fruits
- A good source of flavonoids
- Supports healthy vision
- Shown to have anti-inflammatory properties positively effecting vascular disorders
Bilberry Product Applications
- Artemis’ bilberry powders and bilberry extracts are ideal for a variety of applications including functional foods and dietary supplements. They are suitable for use in capsules, tablets, drink mixes, cosmetics, and more.
Bilberry Juice Powder
A red-violet powder that is completely water soluble and would be a great addition to a berry powder blend or stand-alone in a nutraceutical or food application. Pure bilberry fruit solids are spray-dried onto a maltodextrin excipient. Extract ratio 6:1.
Standardized Bilberry 25% Powder
A dark, red-violet bilberry powder that is extracted via a solvent extraction process and contains a minimum 25% anthocyanins and an extract ratio of 55-70:1